Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sickness in the Camp!

Hey y'all! This is Evelyn. I'm having technical difficulties signing on under my own profile, so I'm writing under the pen name of Rachel Parrish.
Matt split off and did what the girls did yesterday and Abby, Rachel, Emily and I went to the Pachacarra, the ruins of an Incan village, on the south side of the city. As soon as we got out of the city, the landscape turned to a dark sand and we were in the dusty desert. We climbed to the top of the temple of the sun god to get a gorgeous view of the Pacific Ocean. We could see Lima, rice paddies, the ocean, the dessert and a bull fighting ring! On our way back we stopped at the "bohemian" part of Lima called Barranco, the beach, and finally the market. We bought souveniers and gifts to bring back. Luckily our Peruvian friends helped us bargain down to good prices (supply and demand curves at their finest). Yeah free trade!
Yesterday was a great day... until about midday.



Some of the North Americans began to feel bad, and it just got worse. Apparently something in the food from Tuesday night did not agree and now several Canadians, Americans and New Zealanders among others are a ill.
Of our group, Rachel, Matt and Emily stayed in the hotel last night while Abby and I went to our speakers and the night tour. This morning some feel better, some feel worse. It's very easy for me to say because Dr. Fraser and I are the only one's to come out unscathed so far (KNOCK ON WOOD) but this is an illustration of the risks you take travel in a foreign country. We've all been careful so wash our hands and stay hydrated, but sometimes you can't avoid sickness!
I don't have much time now (seems to be the theme of the week) but when I return I'll tell of the awesome activities of yesterday and the day before. Just to keep you reading, here are some teasers: Incan ruins, tail fire game, water/fountain/shows, and how I spend my birthday today in Peru!

No comments: