Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Every day is better than the last!

It's about time I start blogging on this trip. It has been an incredibly busy week already and it's only Tues. I have been absolutely amazed by all the things we have seen and done in only a few days. I feel like part of a little VIP tour group running around Lima getting special access with our badges and business suits. Our buses even have banners on the sides saying "Here come the leaders of the future." The other students are really fantastic and I have had the best time hanging out with them.
On the first day, I was amazed to see the media and convention center where we will be spending some of our time. I was so impressed that they took us into the booth of the Associated Press! Later on we went to an orientation session and learned a little more about APEC. At that point I had no idea of all the amazing things to come.
Yesterday we began the day at the Universidad de San Ignacio Loyola where we were generously greated by the students who handed us gifts as we walked in the gates. When we arrived I felt like some sort of celebrity because they took a big group picture and students were looking out of windows all over the place to watch what was going on. After a few speeches in the auditorium, we did an extensive tour of Lima including the Government Palace (Peruvian White House), the City Hall, Congress, the ruins of the old citywalls, the Cathedral, the Archeological Museum, and more. Where ever we went the badges got us in and we had private tours with tour guides from the University. We also found out that the President of the University ran for President of Peru against Garcia and almost won. We had just taken a picture with her and we had no idea.
Once we finished the tours we had dinner and crashed when we returned to the hotel. It was a wonderful day but yet again, I had no idea what was to come!

Ok, so I have finally caught up today. This morning we had very entertaining breakfast with one of the Peruvian students and joked about accents all over the US. Then we divided into groups and set off for the ABAC Hotel (APEC Business Advisory Council). The hotel was unbelievable! It had a pool right beside one of the dining rooms with 2 dolphins swimming around. You can also go downstairs and sit in the lounge and look right into the tank as they swim by. Anyway, I was taken into the informal ABAC meeting where I took a back seat behind the table of business leaders. In a few minutes I realized I was sitting right behind JACK MA, the founder/CEO of Alibaba (China's ebay). I sat in on the meeting for a little while before cycling out so other students could enter, and then joined the others outside of the conference room where they were interviewing CEOs as they came by. We interviewed Mr. Stevens from Time Warner and then I ended up sitting next to Jack Ma while the group interviewed him. He was an amazing, very motivational speaker and said that that the crisis today is an opportunity for tomorrow. I ended up trading business cards with him (oh so professional) before heading off to lunch. I was star struck after my interactions with Jack Ma and the others.

After a quick lunch we headed to the Media Center but upon arrival I found out that I was going to go to a couple of hotels and interview some of the Senior Officials. The first was Patricia Haslach, a US SO and the only female SO at APEC this year. The next interview was with the assistant of Wendy Cutler and the final one was with one of Canada's Senior Officials, John Sloan (each economy only has 2).

After the interviews we went to a presentation on Rule of Law by Rodrigo Prado and then set off for dinner. We finally had a great traditional Peruvian meal and I got to try ceviche and a Pisco Sour. It was so much fun and I was being quite adventurous with the food. Once again it was a late night and I am now more than ready to crash. At least I get to sleep in until 6:30 tomorrow - no more 5:40, we are going to be rebels and not take the morning shuttle. I can't wait to see what is in store for tomorrow!

2 comments:

Ken said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken said...

Sounds like the trip is off to a great start and that access will be excellent this year--wish I were there! Say hi to Noel and the Furman crew for me.