Thursday, November 20, 2008

Better late than...

So I've not blogged yet, and its already Thursday. Slacker? Perhaps. But I'd like to think I'm immersing myself so much here that I cannot justify pulling myself away from all the fascinating people I've met to sit in front of a computer screen.

Sorry excuse? Perhaps.

C'est la vie.

I am sitting in a cubicle in the middle of the APEC International Media Center, which has been set up next to the Ministry of Defense. If I were an actual journalist, I might question the presence of stern-faced Peruvians with AK-47s strapped to their chests. No one seems to mind, though. At the IMC, press conferences are given every few hours by various ministers. Today's headliners included the Peruvian Minister of Immigration and National Security, the Ministers of Economy and Finance from Chinese Taipei, and and ABAC advisory council meeting, which we will attend in about an hour.


To be honest, it's a little slow around here with journalists buried in their laptops, notepads, and cell phones. Or so I thought. Just now, sitting at this computer, a Liman journalist for El Comercio struck up a conversation with me. The conversation was brief, but fascinating. He teasingly scolded me for coming all the way to Peru and not going to Cusco to visit Machu Picchu. Luis told me that he goes every other year because "the energy of the place is cleansing." An overwhelming majority of Peruvians are Catholic, Luis estimated around 85-90 percent. Yet, each year millions make a pilgrammage to this ancient site because, as he put it, its a spiritual experience that touches the souls of those who visit, Peruvian or not. The discovery of Machu Picchu incited a wave of national pride for all of Peru, but according the Luis the real beauty of the place lies in its ability to provide a spiritual outlet for those who visit.

I think this brief conversation is exemplary of my week here thusfar. Sure, the speakers we've heard, the business leaders we've interviewed have been wonderful experiences. But for me, the conversations I've had with the students from other countries has by far been the best part of the program.

Well, the journalists next to me from CPN Radio in Lima are trying to interview me, but their English is not so good. I'm going to go hunt down a Peruvian to translate for us.

Adios!

No comments: